Common Core State Standards...it's quite a buzz term. Libraries are increasingly being asked to understand and support them. But what does it all mean??
According to the mission statement of the Common Core State Standard Initiative: "The Common Core State Standards provide a consistent, clear understanding of what students are expected to learn, so teachers and parents know what they need to do to help them. The standards are designed to be robust and relevant to the real world, reflecting the knowledge and skills that our young people need for success in college and careers."
I'm not sure I fully understand what the standards are or how we are going to be called upon to support them, but help is on the way!
In response to questions posted to pubyac, Anastasia Suen (Booklist) shared some resources:
- I write about the standards each month in my BooklistQuick Tips for Schools and Libraries newsletter column. (The newsletter is free.)
- There are also free webinars about Common Core that can help you:
- Nov 7th @educationweek: How can schools make the #commoncore #standards understandable to parents? Join us for a free #EWwebinar on Nov. 7:
- Booklist Nov 8th: New Common Core Connections
- Pearson Common Core Institute