Meet a Librarian--Jenna Gilles

Jenna Gilles is the youth services librarian at the Fall Creek Public Library, among many other things!  She writes a great blog about doings at her library. A busy, creative and energetic person, she brings a lot of great stuff to the library.  The photo above is taken with her daughter in one of her other habitats--outside in nature!  Thanks to Jenna for her thoughtful answers to my questions.


As a child care provider and in school for early childhood education, what is one thing you've learned about child development that you think all children's librarians should know?

I think it is very important to remember that each child is unique and develops at their own pace. Unfortunately, we live in a dual age where children are expected to be children, but a lot is expected OF them. It is also important to remember that some children may not have had the social training or experiences that others have. I often realize that I can be a stable adult in some children's lives.

The same goes for families - not every parent grew up in a household where things were positive. Some parents have no experience with children. Some may not be able to evaluate their actions or inactions.  Even though I may not agree with other parenting techniques and disciplinary actions, I do not know the child or the family situation as well as that parent or guardian does. Families and parents grow (one would hope) just like children.

You juggle a lot of balls-school, parenting, 2 jobs, community involvement, and probably lots more.  What would you add to the list if you had time?

 I actually did quit one of my jobs seeing as I am working extra hours at the Library over the summer. Come September, I'll be back down to 14 hours at the Library and have applied for work-study positions at the UWEC Library - wish me luck!

 If I had more time, I would do much more travelling. In my next life, I want to be a landscape architect or travel photographer. While camping and travelling in THIS life, I always have wonderful experiences and I love sharing my love for Nature with my 4.5 year old, Magnolia. There is so much to see, smell, taste, hear, touch, roll around in...I have been lucky enough to travel quite a bit already and some day I'll be back at it, taking photos, trying new foods, and people watching. I would aslo hula hoop lots more.

What do you love about your library job?

I think the list would be shorter if I told you what I do NOT love about my job! Seriously, though, I will never get sick of seeing a child excited about his or her first Library card. I will never tire of seeing children meeting for the first time, playing nicely in the children's area, and making friends. I will always appreciate the compliments from children and parents. What I truly love is hearing a child telling me about that last great book they read....especially when it was one of my favorites as a child! There is also a great community of librarians and library supporters. I love the Fall Creek community I am in, too.

What is one of the biggest challenges at your library job?

Over-scheduling programs and then trying to find the time and reliable volunteers to organize and implement said programs. I have all these ideas and some times I have to wait months or a year to implement them.

What made you decide to minor in library science when you start UWEC in the fall?

 Libraries have been in my life since I can remember and it took me way too long to realize I want to be IN them my whole life. After two weeks on the job here in Fall Creek, I began researching the minor and what I needed to do to become accepted at UWEC. That was almost three years ago, I think.

 What's a sure-fire winner for a children's program (book, activity, fingerplay, song)?

I have read Silly Sally, The Mud Fairy, and The Lorax on numerous occasions. My kiddos really get a kick out of them.

I always try to incorporate some sort of dancing prop or instrument in each storytime. As soon as they see the ribbon sticks from IFLS, they about jump out of their shoes with excitement!

Who are some of your favorite children's musicians?

On the hottest day of the year last summer, we had Ken Lonnquist. We had a super teeny audience, but he was wonderful. I also really like the message from Magic Mama. Not a musician, but a town favorite are The Golden Trunk Players.

What have you read recently that you enjoyed?  Why?

Oh goodness.... I always enjoy reading The Onion. Does that count? I really enjoy You are a Lion by Taeeun Yoo. My daughter and I really enjoy that book together. There have been a number of recent picture books and young adult books that I have enjoyed. Even though e-readers are becoming more and more popular, I truly think the children's authors and illustrators are on a creative kick right now. I know I could spout off more, but I won't.

Labels: